What data is expected?
List of registered (limited liability) companies. The submissions in this data category does not need to include detailed financial data such as balance sheet etc. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Name of company
- Unique identifier of the company
- Company address
- Updated at least once a month
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Unsure (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Unsure
- Is the data machine readable? Unsure (n/a)
- Available in bulk? Unsure
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Unsure
- Publicly available? Unsure
- Is data in digital form? Unsure
- Is the data available online? Unsure (Here)
- Does the data exist? Unsure
At the Cameroon National Institute of Statistics, this information is organized for investors and this might explain why it is so incomplete. It concerns only companies having a turnover over 100 millions per year (Official source) Source : http://www.stat.cm/downloads/liste_entreprise_2012_fr.pdf
Mining companies are to be found elsewhere, especially in the EITI-Cameroon website (Official source). Source : http://www.eiticameroon.org/index.php/les-industries-extractives/les-societes-minieres
Oil companies are to be found in another link in the same EITI-Cameroon website (Official source) http://www.eiticameroon.org/index.php/fr/les-industries-extractives/les-societes-petrolieres
The Chamber for commerce, industry, mining and craft (CCIMA) is responsible for the collection and diffusion of information on companies in Cameroon (1). The eRegulation service maintained by the Ministry of SMEs, Solidarity Economy and Crafts (MINPMEESA) offers information for registration for specific councils but there is no centralized process yet (2). A project on the creation of a central database was mentioned in a 2009 report but there is no evidence such an exhaustive register is operational (3). Finally, the Statistics Institute conducted a Census of Companies in 2009 but it does not provide the list of the companies, the results provided are only about statistics on these companies (4).
(1) CCIMA, http://www.ccima.net/present_fr.php Accessed on 2014-07-03 (Official source) (2) Cameroon eRegulations, http://cameroun.eregulations.org/ Accessed on 2014-07-03 (Official source) (3) Observatoire Economique et Statistique d'Afrique Subsaharienne, Atelier sur le traitementÂ des statistiques d'entreprises, February 2009, http://www.afristat.org/contenu/doc_travail_experts/Com_Repertoire-Final_publication.pdf Accessed on 2014-07-03 (4) INS Cameroun, Recensement Général des Entreprises (RGE2009),http://www.statistics-cameroon.org/news.php?id=78 Accessed on 2014-09-09" (Official source)
Status: "There are some lists of companies that are shared but these lists are not complete at all. The Chamber for commerce, industry, mining and craft (CCIMA) maintains a database on industrial companies in the country. The database only have 63 companies registered though, on a voluntary basis. It is possible to export the data in Excel file (1). The CCIMA also provides another listing on its website (1) but there are less than 400 companies available and there is no possibility to export the data easily.
(1) Base de données sur les entreprises industrielles du Cameroun (CCIMA), http://www.pointsbiz.com/projets/ccima4/entrepriselist.php (2) CCIMA, Annuaire des entreprises du Cameroun, http://www.ccima.net/annuaire_fr.php
The information available on Cameroon companies is very piecemeal and spread out, therefore it is hard to know which is the most authoritative dataset or which to fill out the criteria for. (The link given in the submission was broken and also appeared to be for 2012). But the details provide a lot of information which is useful on its own.
- Rebecca Sentance