What data is expected?
5 days forecast of temperature, precipitation and wind as well as recorded data for temperature, wind and precipitation for the past year. In order to satisfy the minimum requirements for this category, data submitted should meet the following criteria:
- 5 days forecast of temperature updated daily
- 5 days forecast of wind updated daily
- 5 days forecast of precipitation updated daily
- Historical temperature data for the past year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? No (n/a)
- Available in bulk? No
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes(as Weather Forecast - India Meteorological Department (IMD) is the National Meteorological Service of the country and the principal government agency in all matters relating to meteorology, seismology and allied subjects. It takes meteorological observations and provides current and forecast meteorological information for optimum operation of weather-sensitive activities like agriculture, irrigation, shipping, aviation, offshore oil explorations, etc. published by Indian Meteorological Department)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
The observational data recorded at various types of surface and upper air observatories, are scrutinised and archived at the National Data Centre, Pune. It has approximately 8 billion characters of data storage which includes ship data and rainfall data of State raingauges spanning over a century. The statistics thus compiled are periodically revised and updated. The archives form the basis for computation of means, normals, frequencies and other derived parameters, for their analysis and interpretation, and for the preparation of district and state climate summaries and atlases. It makes weather forcast for the country and upto the level of cities (http://126.96.36.199/citywx/localwx.php and http://www.indiaweather.gov.in/ - National Weather section) .
I changed the license entry from 'unsure' to 'no' because commercial use is not allowed (http://www.imd.gov.in/doc/nccraindata.pdf), but otherwise this submission is accepted as is.
- Neal Bastek