What data is expected?
A database of postcodes/zipcodes and the corresponding spatial locations in terms of a latitude and a longitude (or similar coordinates in an openly published national coordinate system). If a postcode/zipcode system does not exist in the country, please submit a dataset of administrative borders. Data submitted in this category must satisfy the following minimum conditions
- Coordinate (latitude longitude)
- national level
updated once a year
- Boarders poligone
- name of poligone (city, neighborhood)
- national level
- updated once a year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Unsure (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Unsure
- Is the data machine readable? Unsure (free webservice (JSON, etc.) for individual items, copyrighted (must pay) database as both, .mdb and .txt)
- Available in bulk? Unsure
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Unsure
- Publicly available? Unsure
- Is data in digital form? Unsure
- Is the data available online? Unsure (Here)
- Does the data exist? Unsure
The Brazilian postcode is named CEP. It is an hierarchical code with 8 digits. The partial 5-digit CEP have map and polygonal representation, but full 8-digit CEP not (it is used today as a logistic non-spatial information), is only a street segment attribute.
Individual CEPs are supplied free, but a full-copy of all CEPs aren't free (not available in bulk)... The access to database queries is free as Internet-webservice: CEP-to-address, and address-to-CEP, human and machine resolution services... So this is a cause of ambiguity in this form: CEP is individually free, but must pay to access on bulk.
The CEP, as a postcode-list, is copyrighted and sold by the public company "Empresa Brasileira de Correios e Telégrafos - Correios" (Brazilian mail service). It is a non-spatial database, with no coordinates in the dataset: http://www.correios.com.br/para-voce/correios-de-a-a-z/dne
The postcode copyright monopoly by Correios company exist since 1978, with the Federal Law 6538.
The post code dataset is available, at a cost from GeoData company http://www.geopostcodes.com/Brazil.
- Codrina Maria Ilie
- Peter Krauss