What data is expected?
A database of postcodes/zipcodes and the corresponding spatial locations in terms of a latitude and a longitude (or similar coordinates in an openly published national coordinate system). If a postcode/zipcode system does not exist in the country, please submit a dataset of administrative borders. Data submitted in this category must satisfy the following minimum conditions
- Coordinate (latitude longitude)
- national level
updated once a year
- Boarders poligone
- name of poligone (city, neighborhood)
- national level
- updated once a year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? No
- Is the data machine readable? No (n/a)
- Available in bulk? No
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? No(as Postal Code published by Canada Post)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? No (No URL given)
- Does the data exist? Yes
Canada Post is a Crown corporation of the Government of Canada. Commercial use of Canada Post's Postal Code Address Data (PCAD) product has been quoted at $50,600 per year. Canada Post claims copyright in its database of postal codes. It has recently defended its claim by filing a lawsuit against Geolytica: https://cippic.ca/en/copyright/geolytica-statement-of-defence.
The data are available over the web and in bulk but these are restricted and behind are not for free.
There are different maps available: Forward Sortation Areas - http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=92-179-X&objType=2&lang=en&limit=0 Postal Code Conversion File - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/110720/dq110720f-eng.htm Address Data Products - https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/mailing/pcdp.jsf Many other products are available here - https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/mailing/pcdp.jsf
- Codrina Maria Ilie
- Mor Rubinstein