What data is expected?
A database of postcodes/zipcodes and the corresponding spatial locations in terms of a latitude and a longitude (or similar coordinates in an openly published national coordinate system). If a postcode/zipcode system does not exist in the country, please submit a dataset of administrative borders. Data submitted in this category must satisfy the following minimum conditions
- Coordinate (latitude longitude)
- national level
updated once a year
- Boarders poligone
- name of poligone (city, neighborhood)
- national level
- updated once a year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? Yes (CSV)
- Available in bulk? Yes
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes(as India Post - For more than 150 years, the Department of Posts (DoP) has been the backbone of the country’s communication and has played a crucial role in the country’s socio-economic development. It touches the lives of Indian citizens in many ways: delivering mails, accepting deposits under Small Savings Schemes, providing life insurance cover under Postal Life Insurance (PLI) and Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI) and providing retail services like bill collection, sale of forms, etc. The DoP also acts as an agent for Government of India in discharging other services for citizens such as Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) wage disbursement and old age pension payments With 1, 55,015 Post Offices, the DoP has the most widely distributed postal network in the world. published by India Post, Ministry of Communication & Informataion Technology, Government of India)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
The dataset (All India Pincode directory with contact details along with Latitude and longitude) is available in CSV format at http://data.gov.in/dataset/all-india-pincode-directory. The information available on OGD India and is completely open for reuse and further studies and research. Many Applications have also been developed using this data. The data is also available at http://www.indiapost.gov.in/pin/. The data consists of pincodes along with post office information like address and postal code. The data can also be searched by location or pincode on http://www.indiapost.gov.in/.
The license does not allow commercial use, it is not open.
License is not Open - https://data.gov.in/sites/default/files/NDSAP.pdf
- Mor Rubinstein