What data is expected?
Key national statistics such as demographic and economic indicators (GDP, unemployment, population, etc). To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- GDP for the whole country updated at least quarterly
- Unemployment statistics updated at least monthly
- Population updated at least once a year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? No (n/a)
- Available in bulk? No
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes(as Kenya National Bureau of Statistics is a semi-autonomous Government agency that is responsible for/mandated to collect, compile analyze, publish and disseminate official statistics for public use. In addition, KNBS coordinates, monitors and supervises the National Statistical System (NSS). published by http://www.knbs.or.ke/ - firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
The Kenya National Bureau of statistics which is the central government agency that collects data has statistics on census, economic activities, demographics. It has many channels through which the some of the data is distributed, with links for these pages on their website, one of which is the Kenya Open Data Initiative (KODI). However there seems to be no standard for distributing data. Some are available and open e.g. KODI but some are available on the KNBS website itself but not open. Some of these are not charged while others are. KNBS applies a statistics act and a form has to be submitted for data requests. On the plus side some include metadata, background information, data description. On the Kenya Open Data portal, the datasets are mostly from KNBS but not up to date. [According to Ahmed ]
Other areas i.e. Consumer Price Indices have regularly updated data within the site, the Statistics section has data between 2006 and 2012 which is pretty outdated at present.
Data fairly regular without open licensing.
- Zach Christensen