What data is expected?
5 days forecast of temperature, precipitation and wind as well as recorded data for temperature, wind and precipitation for the past year. In order to satisfy the minimum requirements for this category, data submitted should meet the following criteria:
- 5 days forecast of temperature updated daily
- 5 days forecast of wind updated daily
- 5 days forecast of precipitation updated daily
- Historical temperature data for the past year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? No
- Is the data machine readable? No (n/a)
- Available in bulk? No
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? No
- Publicly available? No
- Is data in digital form? No
- Is the data available online? No (No URL given)
- Does the data exist? No
In Malaysia, the Meteorological Department is responsible for providing public information that relates to weather forecast. However, there are some loopholes found by follow the 4 criterias for this category:
- There are 3 types of weather forecast; general, states and districts. So, the 5-days forecast of temperature updated daily for districts only.
- Generally, there are summaries provided on strong winds and rough seas (http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4963). There are no 5-days forecast of wind updated daily.
- Normally, there will be 5-days forecast of percipitation updated daily but this is only for states (http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1304&Itemid=1749) and districts (http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3406&Itemid=1930).
- Unfortunately, there are limited historical temperature data provided. What was found from MetMalaysia website is data from 2014 until 2015. Normally, data was visualized in 4 types of figures; Rainfall Map for Malaysia, Mean Monthly Temperature, Mean Monthly Maximum Temperature & Mean Monthly Minimum Temperature. (http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=847&Itemid=1586)
In order for Malaysians or non-Malaysians to have access for complete data by follow these 4 criterias, the entrance fees may not required because there is Freedom of Information (FOI) Act takes place in the Selangor state territory. Therefore, it is possible for people to submit FOI request to the person in change in order to have access for the data.
Note: Freedom of Information FAQ for Selangor http://www.selangortimes.com/index.php?section=insight&permalink=20111215135936-freedom-of-information-faq
I changed this submission to data does not exist because no national forecast data beyond a very brief description of condition could be found at the links provided.
- Neal Bastek
- Hazwany Jamaluddin