National Map / 2013 100% open
What data is expected?
This data category requires a high level national map. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Scale of 1:250,000 (1 cm = 2.5km).
- Markings of national roads
- National borders
- Marking of streams, rivers, lakes, mountains.
- Updated at least once a year.
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Yes (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? Yes (Shapefiles)
- Available in bulk? Yes
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
There is a very substantial amount of geographic information openly provided by the US Government. The most relevant to this specific question is probably the US Census' TIGER (Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing) Database which provides vector data covering features such as "Boundaries, roads, address information, water features, and more". In addition to TIGER there is also substantial geographic data available from the US Geological Survery (USGS) at: http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/. This includes topographic maps as well as aerial and satellite imagery (such as the global Landsat data).