What data is expected?
Key national statistics such as demographic and economic indicators (GDP, unemployment, population, etc). To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- GDP for the whole country updated at least quarterly
- Unemployment statistics updated at least monthly
- Population updated at least once a year
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? Unsure (n/a)
- Available in bulk? Unsure
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? No
- Publicly available? Yes(as Population, Foreign Trade, Labour, Wages, Agriculture, etc published by Central Agency for PUblic Mobilization and Statistics)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
The CAPMAS (Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics) is the national authority responsible for collecting, curating and releasing the country's data on demographics, wages, agriculture, tourism, etc. The website and the data are available in Arabic and English.
Majority of are in PDF format, but some others are in XLS. There are also some broken links on the website.
Final reviewer: The majority of information is available as PDF embedded in a flash reader. The data overall is available in a non-readable format and is not available in bulk. Yet these criteria were marked as 'unsure' since one can filter and download quite some data through the CensusInfo database, incl. in a machine-readable format.
Regarding the timeliness of data, it is marked as outdated: http://www.censusinfo.capmas.gov.eg/DivInfo/ and http://www.censusinfo.capmas.gov.eg/DivInfo/DIWizard/DIWizardHome.aspx are the CAPMAS database; they seem to provided data from either 1980 or 2012 (unclear). Indeed, some summary numbers are provided for 2014 (e.g., http://www.capmas.gov.eg/Pepo/lab_e.pdf). Lastly, it is unknown what the release mechanism is and how often the data is updated.
Submission accepted with minor revision. Please see the comments.
- Rayna St
- Rayna St