What data is expected?
This data category requires all national laws and statutes available to be available online, although it is not a requirement that information on legislative behaviour e.g. voting records is available. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Content of the law / status
- If applicable, all relevant amendments to the law
- Date of last amendments
- Data should be updated at least on quarterly
What data is available
- Openly licensed? No (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? No (n/a)
- Available in bulk? No
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Yes
- Publicly available? Yes published by Legislative Herald of Georgia)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
The legislation of Georgia is made available online by the Legislative Herald of Georgia, a "Legal Entity of Public Law" which is subordinate to the Ministry of Justice.
Laws and other legal documents are available via a search interface. The format of the documents is HTML; there is also a PDF download link. Neither of these qualifies as machine-readable because they would need to be scraped in order to extract the text of laws.
An offline version of the data is available for download, but only for paying users; therefore, this does not qualify as making the information available in bulk. Likewise, this downloadable version could potentially be disassembled to extract machine-readable versions of the documents, but this also doesn't qualify as machine-readable.
All government-generated information in Georgia is legally in the public domain, but the Legislative Herald Website specifies "All Rights Reserved" which could lead uneducated users to believe that the information was copyrighted. Thus, I marked this dataset as not openly licensed.
The data is updated regularly and frequently; the site is a valuable resource used by practicing lawyers in Georgia in the course of their work.
- Mathias Huter
- Derek Dohler