What data is expected?
This data category requires a high level national map. To satisfy this category, the following minimum criteria must be met:
- Scale of 1:250,000 (1 cm = 2.5km).
- Markings of national roads
- National borders
- Marking of streams, rivers, lakes, mountains.
- Updated at least once a year.
What data is available
- Openly licensed? Unsure (No URL given)
- Is the data available for free? Yes
- Is the data machine readable? Yes (shp, geotiff)
- Available in bulk? Yes
- Is the data provided on a timely and up to date basis? Unsure
- Publicly available? Yes(as Military Geografy Institute published by IGM - Istituto Geografico Militare)
- Is data in digital form? Yes
- Is the data available online? Yes (Here)
- Does the data exist? Yes
the Italian Military Geografy Institute has the official mandate to manage spatial data There are other resources (eg. National Cartographic Portal), but the refresh of data is obsolete. At present the Military Geografy Institute has an open data policy.
The Italian Military Geografy Institute offers a few free downloadable shape files in different versions which seem to fall in line with our criteria for free, public, online, machine readable and bulk, however licensing and updates seem unclear.
- Gil Zaretzer
- Maurizio Napolitano